4.29.2014

bp's science: eat your vegetables

A recent study put a number on how important it is to eat your fruits and most importantly, your vegetables.  It was found that eating seven or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day decreases your rate of death by 42 percent.

So tell me, do you get seven or more servings?  What percentage of the population does?  That should be the next study.

What about five to seven servings?  If so, that decreases your rate of death 36 percent.

What about three to five? If so, that decreases your rate of death 29 percent.

What about one to three? If so, that decreases your rate of death 14 percent.

So, again, how many servings have you had today?  One serving is about 1/2 cup.  As full disclosure, it is 4:04pm on Monday afternoon as I write this and I have had three servings.  I highly doubt - no, I know - I will not reach seven servings.  That may be an interesting study for me: in one month, how often do I get seven or more servings of fruits and vegetables a day?  Can I do it?  We shall see.

grilled broccoli is a nice way to get a serving in

No comments: