6.07.2012

Crossing to Safety, a Review

This is a story about a friendship between two couples over a number of years.  It's a book that celebrates the general normalcy we go through in life.  The author, Wallace Stegner, draws out the simple joy of the experience and the power we find in relationships.  It was a bit hard for me to read at the end because it was sad, but in the sadness there was that touch of irony and poignancy that came through.

Quotes I liked include:
In talking about himself, the author notes, "[Writers are] exalted by having made use of [grief and resentment], by having spilled [their] guts in public.  We are strange creatures, and writers are stranger creatures than most."  
Would you say this is true of bloggers to a certain extent?  Replace "grief and resentment" with "personal experiences" and I'd say most certainly.

And another quote about the miracle of pregnancy:
"I see [the two expecting friends] there, and think how in those two women four hearts are beating, and it awes me."
I am always amazed at the miracle of babies, and this seemed to sum it up nicely.

1 comment:

Lindsey Hicks said...

Hi Ash, sometimes I blog stalk you - surprise:) Anyway - I love Wallace Stegner and especially loved Crossing to Safety. I really enjoyed this post!