1.11.2012

Books Read in 2011

Below is a list of the books I read this year, with my ranking from 1 -4.
1 = poor,
2 = okay,
3 = I liked it,
4 = I'd buy it for my library

* indicates a children's book

Before taking a look at my list, I must make a disclaimer. I've found that suggesting books for people is kind of a tricky business. Every person's likes or dislikes of a book are very different regardless of how great a friend they may be or how well you feel you know them. Plus, one never knows what line is drawn for acceptable content and whatnot. Not that I'm all into swear words, but you know what I mean.
  • Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination = 3
  • Flyboys = 2 (I'd give it a 3, but it was way intense)
  • Cold Sassy Tree = 4
  • Animal Farm = 2
  • Where the Red Fern Grows = 3
  • Wild Bill Donovan : the spymaster who created the OSS and modern American espionage (186) = Did not finish, had to return to library
  • 100 Years of Solitude (23) = Did not finish, had to return to library
  • Esio Trot* = 4
  • Outliers = 4
  • Pegasus Bridge = 3
  • Beyond Band of Brothers: The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters = 4
  • Storyteller: The Authorized Biography of Roald Dahl = 3
  • The Good Earth = 4
  • My Life in France = 4
  • Between a Rock and a Hard Place = 4
  • George's Marvelous Medicine* = 2
  • Journal of the Dead = 3 (another intense read)
  • A Tree Grows in Brooklyn = 4
  • Fantastic Mr. Fox* = 4
  • A Fearsome Doubt = 2

This year I was really liking non-fiction and I read several war books. I need to review more of these books because I forget what they are about so quickly. It was a good reading year. Now onto another. Although, I must admit I've got a cooking magazine I'd like to read first.

3 comments:

elnaclark said...

Ashley,
I love a good book list. I agree with your numbering of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, Cold Sassy Tree, Outliers and The Good Earth. I will read some of your other "fours". Thanks. On the ones you did not finish, what would you have numbered them up to that point?
Elna

ash said...

If I were to rate those books that I was not able to finish, based on the pages I did read, I would rate:
Wild Bill Donovan = 3
I loved learning about the OSS and need to finish this book.
100 Years of Solitude = 2
I could not get into this one. I may need to just get into it more in order to give it a more complete rating.

jo said...

I love your book lists. I get a lot of good book ideas from them each time you post. And I'm with Elena. I'm going to have to check out some of your 4's.

p.s. how are you liking your cooking mag? Fascinating stuff.