7.12.2011

bp's science: spinach, the superfood (v.1)

When I was a kid I most definitely did not like spinach. We usually ate it from a frozen 5 by 4 inch rectangular box, and by the time it was cooked, it seemed so slimey and unappetizing. It was one of those foods that, as a kid, you'd take one bite and then wash it down with lots of milk. And then you'd do that over and over again until the food was gone and you were filled with 1/4 cup spinach and a quart of milk. I did this not only with spinach, but also with lima beans and beets. But I digress.

Now this dislike for the stuff stuck around for a good long time, until adulthood when I discovered fresh baby spinach. Ahh, the goodness. Very delicious and refreshing. This was a whole new world of spinach. Now we have fresh stuff in our refridgerator most of the time.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised when I discovered our very own "spinach bandit" stealing my spinach salad one evening at dinner.




He ate half of my plate. He calls it "spinach sal(ad)" and "leaves". It's pretty cool to eat leaves, right?

Now as you know, spinach is considered a superfood. Yes, that term is thrown around a lot these days, and it is not specifically defined, but I like to think of it as anything that's got lots of good nutrients in it. Spinach is filled with vitamins (A, C, D, folate) plus some iron and lots o' antioxidants. Plus it is versatile. You can throw it in savory or sweet salads, shakes, and even (as my sister made for me one wonderful afternoon) peanut butter and jam sandwiches.

2 comments:

Chap said...

I love the sequential spy pictures of Oliver in action! Fresh spinach IS good (but I like beets and limas, too!) Do you like beets and lima beans now?

jo said...

Cute! I let the little one try spinach the other day. Not a fan. Hopefully in the future.