12.21.2010

bp's science: Christmas themed science (v.1)

A few Christmas-themed science thoughts for the holidays:

1. This year for our December Primary Activity we made Gingerbread (graham cracker) Nativity Scenes. I volunteered to lead the task, which meant, I had to make "gingerbread house frosting." I had never heard of that before, but it made sense to me, we needed a STRONG frosting to hold the things together. Turns out, the frosting is 3 egg whites, 1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar and 1lb. powdered sugar. It may not harden in 5 minutes (try 1-2 hours) but man, those eggs do just the trick. Here is my final Nativity Scene. Not craft magazine material, but it'll do.

2. Also, I just learned this year that poinsettias are not poisonous. So don't worry about Fido, or Grover, or Fifi getting into them.

3. And you know how, in How the Grinch Stole Christmas, the Grinch's heart grows three sizes? In the story, that's wonderful. I can't get enough of that Christmas classic. But in real life, an enlarged heart is not a good thing. It's a sign of overcompensation of the heart for one reason or the other caused by heart disease. For some reason I always think about that when I watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas, that and Cindy Lou Who.

1 comment:

Chap said...

i've never seen or thought of a "gingerbread" nativity before-you're right, the frosting is tricky! I loved your animals.

I thought poinsettias were poisonous, how did that rumor get started?

How funny that your worry about the enlarged heart of the grinch!