7.19.2010

Good old swiss army

My dad always carries lose change, his keys, chapstick, and a swiss army knife in his pocket. When I was younger, this pocket knife came in handy more often then you'd suppose. We'd use the scissors, knife, twissors, and file to open, cut, and pull the usual suspects (a bag of salami, a thread on your pants, a sliver, an apple).

In church the other day, an older man offered Oliver an apple because he was eyeing it and looked pretty hungry. As I took the apple the man also offered me his pocket knife. It was warm and reminded me of my dad's pocket knife. I used it to peel the apple and give Oliver a bite. I was taken aback to all of the summer picnics with family up in the canyon on a Sunday afternoon. Ahhhh.

5 comments:

Janice said...

We were up the canyon just last night.

kel said...

i've carried a pocket knife on my key chain ever since i had a key chain. i've used it in so many different situations and it's always helpful. funny though, about every third time i pull it out to use, the people who i'm offering it to make fun of me for having a pocket knife on hand. oh, well, they are the true dorks.

jo said...

Ah yes! The ol' pocket knife. I also remember that it was always a nice 98.6 degrees when it was handed to you. Good memories for sure.

And my pocket knife helped Kel help us harvest some of our produce from our garden just last week. Go Swiss.

Jess said...

Too bad DC security checks make having a pocket knife on your key chain nearly impossible.

english said...

very nice post! a great story and reflection on this simple but rich (& warm!) gesture.