5.13.2010

So, ya know, the cruise?

Two months ago REAL SIMPLE asked that readers respond to the question, "What's Your Worse Travel Mishap?" for the June 2010 issue. As soon as I read that prompt, I instantly knew I had to write about the cruise. But I had to do it in one very short paragraph. How could I accomplish such a feat? I tried and they liked it so much they published it...okay, not in the magazine, but on the web. If you're at all curious, this is how I described the vacation my family still talks about with all of the love and unbelief and gentle aversion in their hearts:

One December my whole family, 20-plus people, set out for a cruise. Unfortunately, the flight to the port was delayed by snow and then mechanical failure. After three days of plane rides and hotel stays, we finally caught up with the ship, where everyone on the boat knew us by name: “Oh, you’re the Johnsons. We’ve heard about you.”

after days, we prepare to enter the ship, circa 2003

5 comments:

Janice said...

Very cool! Recently a friend told me that she and her husband were going on a cruise for their 10th anniversary. I held my tongue but I so wanted to say, "Get your money back. Do something, anything else."

Chap said...

congratulations, Ash, you are now a published author!

jo said...

Look at that! You are published! Well done.

And might I say, your concise paragraph explained that memorable vacation very well.

The best part about it is, aren't vacations meant to create memories? Then this one delivered, because create memories it did. :)

Natalie said...

Wow, I think I need to hear that whole story next time we get together. Congrats on getting published!

kel said...

that is great! i always wanted to get something published in Real Simple. now i can live vicariously through you.