4.12.2010

A Review: A Room with a View

I read this book fast because I just wanted to find out what happened in the end. And that's a signal of goodness. It's a love story without mush but with apprehension, tension, and pension (ha, you'll get that joke if you've read it, and I wanted all of those words to rhyme). It could have used a bit more embellishment here and there with the story (rather than the social indiosynchrocies of the period), but I quite enjoyed the book. And I must say that I support the notion presented that women need to experience too (because, in many instances, they seem to be the instigators of the experience). Much of the social commentary Forster presents has to do with issues that our society seemily does not deal with, but most certainly, his commentary still has a place today.

3 comments:

Janice said...

Glad you liked it. As you know, it is one of my favorites.

Jess said...

Ash, this post needs some embellishment- what social commentary did Forster make? Women need to experience what? Or, was he saying they just need to experience in general? Or, are you just giving enough detail to entice but not enough to ruin the book?

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

Ash, I picked up the book yesterday. I'm now on pg. 217 about 100 to go. I'm enjoying it. Definitely discussion worthy. I'll report back when finished.