3.15.2010

Consumer

Ever since I've taken a indefinite leave from work and I've got more time away from the office, my consumption has increased. There's something about going out and buying that makes me feel like I've achieved something, and I'm pretty sure that's not a good thing. "I got these Dr. Suess books for $5 each!" I proclaim to Jess like I've just summitted K2.

I've talked to my sisters about this explaining that, "Every time I set my foot into Target, I end up coming out with more than I planned to buy." Here I am, a young mom, taking a stroll through the store, needing cereal, but coming out with a lint remover, some bathroom cleaner, a jar of almonds, and a spray bottle. Those items seem harmless. We need the stuff. But did I mention that last week, I saw kid toys for $1 each and I bought two items...when we already have one of these same items at home? What was I thinking? After hearing of my behavior one of my sisters replied, "You've become a marketer's dream." And I have.

What's more is that I subscribe to REAL SIMPLE. I dig this magazine, and I'm enjoying the layout, design, new ideas, and recipes it presents. But it's also got me thinking that I should buy purse organizers and blue eye shadow. I don't own a purse and I don't wear eye shadow. To add to this, Martha Stewart Living is getting sent to us too. And I don't know why. I never signed up for it, but we keep getting it, and I keep reading it. All the while taking in it's 70 out of 168 pages of advertisements.


To make matters worse, I am within walking distance of several shops. Target is one of them. Filene's Basement another. World Market, Old Navy, Barnes & Noble. Oh yes, and the road I live on is a straight 7 minute walk to the mall. A full service mall, complete with a Gap, Banana Republic, Borders, H&M. Yesterday as I was leaving the place I thought to myself, "This is wonderful. Oliver and I can walk here on nice days this spring."

I need a park. I need a project. I need to not need.

7 comments:

Janice said...

Many stay at home moms become consumers. I have been a victim myself.

Trisha said...

hahahaha! I can laugh because I'm part of the problem too. Only I love online shopping. On one hand, I agree that you need a park, or project or something. But on the other, I say enjoy it. Oliver won't be a good shopping partner for long. Toddlers kind of hate the mall... So have some fun:)

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

i agree, whatever target is doing it is working.

whenever i go to walmart though, i always end up feeling robbed. i think oh... i will probably spend like $30 on whatever it is i need and end up coming out with a $60 bill. i hate shopping there.

jo said...

No one can blame you for the Dr. Seuss purchase, however. That's an excellent investment whether it's an impulse buy or a planned purchase.

And who says you don't need blue eye shadow? I don't blame you there either. Those advertisments are convincing. And I don't wear eye shadow either.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

I know what you mean! That Target dollar section gets me every time!

Angie said...

Oh boy, I hear ya. The other day while looking at our credit card bill, James said, "You should hang out with some friends this week." (Meaning, "Wow, when you have nothing to do you sure spend a lot of money!") And it's so easy to rationalize. After all, I'm not buying anything expensive, just things we "need." I think we should get together this month. Let's try a daytime get together and see how far it actually feels.

kel said...

yes, yes. i shudder when i read this because it is a perfect description of me. when we lived in Eph a trip to Wal*Mart was an inevitable unnecessary expense yet, that was one of my outings and i enjoyed it. so on the one hand, do enjoy and on the other hand, don't feel bad about stashing a few items on the shelves of the checkout counter. i do that sometimes and it helps. those marketing departments know their stuff and they've been working on 'our kind' since the 1950s - or before.