3.01.2010

Chopsticks and straws

One of my earlier memories involves my grandmother cleaning out the refridgerator at home. I believe she had come over to babysit. I remember sitting at the counter...watching. Our fridge was really full. With lots of food sitting in the back: unseeable, untouchable, and therefore, uneatable. As my grandma went through the fridge, she tossed out about 68 percent of it. She'd look at the jar of foodstuffs and say "When in doubt, throw it out" and into the garbage it went. I was shocked at the waste! But I was powerless. My grandma was a tough lady and I don't think my under-five self could do anything about it.

Yes, at a young age I knew about waste. I grew up in a house that knew little waste. Throwing away food was unheard of. We even saved the ketchup packets we got from fast food joints and didn't use (and then we never used them). We saved soy sauce packets, chopsticks, and even straws. My mom would go as far as rinsing the chopsticks and straws and running them through the dishwasher. Like I said, little waste.

So the other day, we got sushi takeout. Delicious (ahhh, soy sauce and wasabi mixed together). I found myself saving the chopsticks. I even put them in the dishwasher. Then I used them again, and found myself rinsing them again, and placing them in the dishwasher. Jess inquired as to why I was doing such a thing. We had nice chopsticks in our silverware drawer and didn't need to save the wooden ones. Then and there I realized that I was doing just as my mom had done years before. And I liked it. To tell you the truth, I don't really know if my saving the chopsticks came from (1) consciuosly not wanting to waste or (2) subconsciously liking the feeling of remembering and doing something like my mom.

5 comments:

Jess said...

That's a good story, Ash. I promise I won't make fun for saving those chopsticks anymore :).

Janice said...

You have just given me great insight into your brother. When he is not looking, I do throw out things but not much. We currently have about 30 pairs of cheep wooden chopsticks in my silverware drawer.

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

I sure love your mom! Great memory. I wish I could successfully eat with chopsticks because I might be tempted to save them.

jo said...

I love it.

Guess what I find myself saving among other things. Every rubber band and bread bag twist tie I've ever come across.

I convinced K to let me keep the rubber bands... the twist ties though, he throws away.

p.s. I'm constantly tempted to save ketchup packets and the like. So glad to know I'm not the only one.

kel said...

there are many times when 'when i doubt, throw out' is quite useful and there are many times when saving is very useful. now just to know when to use which phrase. ketchup packets: out. twist ties: half and half. grocery store produce bags: save (they're good for the dirtiest diapes).