2.21.2010

SLC via RIC

Snowmagedon was fun until it affected our travel plans.

We were supposed to fly out Thursday morning, the day after the east coast blizzard, but our flight was cancelled (along with myriad others). So I called customer service to see what we could do. We had a wedding to attend and didn't want to miss it. After several rings, a five minute session of answering voice activated prompts, and some very static-y hold music, a representative came on the line. You could tell she'd been juggling a lot of people's requests to "get me on a plane right now even if the weather is not fit for flying!" I was doing the same.

After some talk and finding no solution I said, "Can I speak with your supervisor?" in the kindest tone I could muster. I knew the situation proved difficult, but I needed to try the next level in the heirarchy. Supervisor proved very helpful. After some discussion, she was able to get us to Salt Lake by way of Richmond, Virginia (a 2 hour drive from DC). I must admit, I was a little apprehensive about the whole thing, I worried about driving on icy streets. But here's a tip: Drive around DC after a huge snow storm during the early morning hours and you'll be going faster than you've ever driven on the roads before (even with the ice!).


Needless to say, our visit to Salt Lake was swell. The wedding was wonderful. The company superb. It was a whirlwind of a trip. Only wish we could have stayed longer and visited with more good people. And I like the Richmond airport. The people are nice, the parking is cheap, and the shuttle buses are much faster.

4 comments:

kel said...

you guys are troopers! way to make it happen.

jamesandlindsaylattin said...

I'm so glad you made it out West through all the snow. Love the wed pics! Great news for the Theodore family!

jo said...

Well done. I'm glad you guys made it to the wedding despite D.C.'s attempts to stop you.

Natalie said...

I'm glad you made it to the wedding even with the detour!