4.23.2009

Central Park, part three

Many a time, I've heard of people going to NYC and spotting a celebrity. Someone I knew saw Sting once and another person saw a girl from The OC. So naturally, when I visited NYC this past weekend, I thought I may spot someone famous myself. And I did. This is how it went.

Jess: Look at that, a beach volleyball court in Central Park.
Ash: That's interesting, I wonder how you reserve time to play.
Jess: Yeah, I don't know.
Ash: Gee, the sand is spilling out of the court.
We slow our pace near the courts and watch as 4 dudes play volleyball, one of which was wearing beach trunks, going shirtless. And it was 62 degrees.
Ash: Jess, stop, stop. Come here.
Jess: What, huh?
Ash: Come here. (And in a lower tone), I think that's John Stossel.
Jess: Who's John Stossel? And, why isn't he wearing a shirt?
Ash: He's a new anchor...on Dateline or something.
We continue walking.
Jess: Ash, I don't know if that was John Stossel. John Stossel has a pretty common look with the moustache and all. That really could have been anyone. His look isn't that distinct.
Ash: I'll stand by it. (Really wanting to triumph in spotting some sort of public figure on this visit) THAT was John Stossel, I will bet you on it. I'm sure it was him.
Jess: Does he report out of New York?
Ash: I think so.
Jess: Let's Google him.
As we continue to walk, Jess pulls out the Blackberry to check it out.
Ash: Ha, ha, that's evidence enough!
Jess: Wow, John Stossel playing volleyball in Central Park in 62 degree weather. This is great. We've got to get a photo.
So we walked back and got a picture. How's that for celebrity sighting? Er...I mean news anchor sighting. He wasn't bad at the game either.

5 comments:

Janice said...

I'm so excited. I love John Stossel.

kel said...

that is way better than seeing someone like Steve Carrel or Lucy Liu. seriously. shirtless? that's jumping the gun for sure. but i guess when you have to wear a shirt and tie to work every day a bare chest is quite liberating.

english said...

when you said shirtless at 62 degrees I would have guessed John Stamos, or, like, Matthew Mcconaghey.
but, John Stossel- good sighting Ash. it's always nice to see a libertarian making good use of our public parks.

jo said...

This is monumental! John Stossel. My favorite twist: that looking up info on John Stossel confirmed the sighting. Thank you, digital age.

Nice face recognition as well.

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

that is halarious! really... that is great. can't miss that stash.