1.10.2009

Looking like a treat

The other day as I was washing my hands, I looked up at myself in the mirror and thought, "I look like mint chocolate cake." I was wearing a light green shirt under a brown blouse which actually looked quite delicious.You see, growing up, we used to frequent a small bakery in Sugarhouse called Glaus. I believe it's still there. It is very close to the house where my mom grew up and it's been there a while. Even when other businesses come and go, it remains and if you've ever had a confection from there, it's very clear why.

For every birthday we celebrated at my house there was a cake from Glaus to accompany it. My mom and dad loved the pineapple rum cake; my older sisters the white raspberry; many of us, the mint chocolate. It was my favorite. Complete with mint filling and a chocolate butter creme frosting (made with real butter!) and a hard chocolatey glaze. Each cake came in a pink pastry box with the top stapled open just enough so that the lid wouldn't smash the layers of frosting on top, and just enough so that when we got into the car with the cake, it'd fill the automobile with sweet scents that made it very difficult not to poke your finger in and take a taste.

I grew up on the cake and ended up ordering it for my wedding (although, it wasn't mint chocolate). Still, I haven't had it for a while and I haven't (yet) found a bakery out here that compares. So to satisfy my desire for the stuff, my conscience seems to have started dressing me like it.

And by the way, a Happy New Year to all. I hear that "Everything's fine in 2009."

2 comments:

jo said...

Ha! I can't believe it. You are a chocolate mint cake! Perhaps this means someone needes to send you a mint brownie or gingerbread man from Glaus just to get it all out of your system.

And for the record, I never like the pineaple rum... I know, I know, terrible of me.

Natalie said...

That's funny you looked in the mirror and reminded yourself of cake. I have to say mint green and brown do just go really well together. :) I could go for a delicious pastry myself!