4.22.2008

Yep, the hair saga continues

I've contemplated again and again if I should continue the hair cut story, as it could be laborious, but this is too good not to share.

No overbooking this time at the respected salon. Instead, I got my haircut and I am pleased with the outcome. Granted, I look like Amelia Earhart, but she was quite a style guru back in the day, so I don't mind. Getting there however was quite an ordeal. In fact, it took over 3 hours from start to finish, and I didn't get my hair colored or styled, just cut. There are few things you don't want to hear your hair stylist say, and I think I heard all of them during my visit.
You have a lot of hair!
I just can't get this shorter!
I've never done this haircut before.
Does this pull?
Your hair really is curly.
Can I get some assistance?

At the end of the time period it takes most of us to watch a full length movie and have dinner, the stylist began to straighten my hair. It was much easier said than done. She must have tried to straighten my bangs 3 or 4 times, each time adding more smoothing product. At the beginning of the fifth attempt, I offered her a solution, "You don't have to keep trying. My bangs are quite wavy and difficult to control." She nodded with relief, but wasn't yet done with the straightener. She began making her way around my head, straightening her version of the haircut I asked for. This time it did take out my natural wave, and by the end I looked like a page boy. Again, I interjected, "I'm just going to wear this haircut wavy so don't worry about straightening it." She looked at me surprised. But it totally made sense to me as I stared at my page boy self with my bangs poking straight out due to the previous treatment and a stubborn a cow lick. Again, I saw relief from the stylist. She knew the straightening couldn't make it better.

I left, leaving a tip, and saying thank you. As I walked the streets of downtown, I caught my reflection in every reflective surface, the H&M windows, the McDonald's red neon sign, the office building's metallic address in huge numbers, making the haircut inescapable, even for one minute. I caught the train, went home, took a shower, and let the wave back in my hair. It was then that I realized the 3 hours had been partially well spent.

Photos requested:

Before and After (aka Amelia!)

8 comments:

jo said...

No way! Wow, the page boy, eh? I think that's much better than the heber city I once received. I'm so glad you have some natural wave to counteract the affects of the straightener. If I was there, I would have told the stylist that I envy the natural wave and to not mess with Texas... I mean, the wave.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

That is definitely NOT what you want to hear from someone cutting your hair. What a funny experience. I am glad it worked out for you.

Right now, I have pre-prego hair (which is curly), prego hair (which is wavy to straight), followed by post-prego hair (which is curly, but not quite as curly as pre-prego hair.) Needless to say, I too, like Jo envy a uniform wave. :)

Tricia said...

Any pictures?

jo said...

You're reading My Name Is Asher Lev? Is this your first time?

You'll have to let me know what you think. I'm a Chaim Potok fan.

It's funny because your name is Asher Lev. Ha ha ha.

ash said...

I started reading the book once, but then never finished. I think I got to page 20 back then. But I am surely enjoying it this time through. I'll let you know what I think.

ZhaoKids said...

I can't wait to see your new style my dear!! =)

Natalie said...

You poor thing. I have to say, you pull the haircut off very well though. Maybe it's time you spend 3x as much at my salon (ugh!).

Unknown said...

haha, that was pretty entertaining...