3.18.2008

Uncle Tom's Cabin: A Review

My sister gave me this book for Christmas. It's a classic, and I can see why. It's important for everyone to read a book that "so aroused readers that Abraham Lincoln is said to have told Stowe her work had been a catalyst for the Civil War." It's an excellent way for someone like me, who has a hard time connecting all of the history dots when just reading a textbook, to learn about history. But what's more is that one of the major themes Uncle Tom's Cabin deals with is man vs. every darn thing out there while still managing to find faith in something to keep going. Now I'm not about to suggest that the trials we experience today are like unto what slaves had to suffer, but what I am going to say is that we all experience hard times and we can all learn from Uncle Tom and how he deals with what life gives him.

4 comments:

Janice said...

I need to read this one. Never have.

jo said...

i do too, janice.

hey ash, if you like books that connect the historical dots (i tend to be like you) you should read A Tale Of Two Cities.

the french revolution is fascinating.

Janice said...

I agree with Jo--A Tale of Two Cities is a great read.

The Jeff Bylund Family said...

I loved this book! After I read this, I read some commentary that put a negative spin on Tom. They said that they thought he should have fought back. However, I disagreed. I think that sometimes the best way to fight back is not to fight. I really loved this book.