3.04.2008

A snack to relish

Once, while attending an event in a large convention center, I got really hungry and needed something to eat quite urgently. I could feel the creepings of the hunger headache. I didn't want to spend my hard earned cash on the overpriced $9 hot dog, or $7 popcorn, so I took some complimentary relish packets from the condiments booth and started consuming. After about the third relish packet, a friend from work, who I had no idea would be attending the same event, tapped me on the shoulder to say hello. I turned around with the empty relish packets in one hand and the waiting-to-be-eaten packets in the other. I tried to overcompensate for what I had in my hands by acting suave as I talked with the friend. That's what you get when a near-hypoglycemic Ashley meets a mega-frugal Ashley and then I eat relish packets. And it wasn't worth it, I still got the headache because relish is like eating pickled air.

About 5 months later I got overly hungry at the national zoo. I decided to skip the condiments booth and buy a regular Snickers bar for $2.

7 comments:

The Jeff Bylund Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Jeff Bylund Family said...

Hilarious! I can't believe you ate the relish packets. I am still laughing as I write this. I love it!

One time, I was really hungry while I was teaching an eighth grade U.S. History class. All I had to eat was a hard Gobstopper. As I was sucking on it and teaching at the same time, somehow, the Gobstopper flew out of my mouth toward a bunch of my students. It nearly hit a girl in the face. Needless to say, I had some explaining to do as well.

kel said...

i cannot stop laughing. seriously! this is quintessential near-hypoglycemic Ashley meets mega-frugal Ashley. the best is your friend stopping to talk and you have the empty packets in one hand and the full packets in the other. i can totally see you carrying on a conversation with the utmost confidence while your mind is racing to make sense of the situation. hilarious! man, i love it!

jo said...

Ash! I think you know what I have to day here...

there is a little smoke tornado coming from the top of my head... that is if I was a cartoon...

then after that, I'm laughing quite hard. I'm glad you decided on the snickers after going through the relish stress...

but who am I to talk... I've done this with ketchup packets!

KYLe said...

One time, while I did a snowboarding/ski program up at Brighton Ski Resort, I refused to buy the items at the Snack Bar because they were too expensive. BUT, the saltine cracker packet were free (go figure!) Anyway, I used to stockpile those into my mouth until my mouth was so dry and I would begin to have uncontrollable coughs. Unfortunately, they even charged for water 25 cents! What a rip off!! Great BLOG!

Chap said...

(I love how Jo's comment is next to her food photo! THAT is what you needed that day...some real food!)

I thought of you today when I was at the AZ memorial snack place (that had relish in open bins, not packets, for the hot dogs- now that would have made your situation a little difficult!!) I had a salad and Fat Boy ice cream instead! Don't you love that combination. Perhaps that is why I wear a larger size?

Mom T.

Chap said...

(I love how Jo's comment is next to her food photo! THAT is what you needed that day...some real food!)

I thought of you today when I was at the AZ memorial snack place (that had relish in open bins, not packets, for the hot dogs- now that would have made your situation a little difficult!!) I had a salad and Fat Boy ice cream instead! Don't you love that combination. Perhaps that is why I wear a larger size?

Mom T.