7.24.2007

If Ash can cook, so can you!

Once, while in college, I had a can of black beans for breakfast. While it hasn't gotten that bad since I've been married, sometimes I find us low on groceries and some creative meals come out of the mix. Last week our dinner consisted of tuna with dill pickles on saltine crackers. I've had other such meals throughout my life. When I was a kid, my older sister made us spaghetti noodles with cool whip (and do I recall cinnamon?) sauce. As a teenager, my dad mixed left over pizza and pasta to create the famous "boiled pizza" dish. Anything my mom made using a cacophony of foodstuffs was usually called dinner "surprise."

Sometimes what I make for dinner could also be in the "surprise" category, but I have tried to make a concerted effort at being a better cook. I am amazed at how easy it really can be. I've gathered lots of recipes from family and friends and have tried new things. My greatest success has been apple pie, while my biggest failure, homemade macaroni and cheese (I burnt the milk - very gross). Here are my cinnamon rolls, a delight to make really.
I've been thinking of starting a recipe book blog, just for the fun of it. People could share their recipes and ideas for easy yet delicious meals. This makes sense to me since all of the recipes I use are from others. All could benefit from such a blog. Do you blog readers think it's a good idea?

6 comments:

Lilly said...

Ashley!
Oh, it's soo good to look at you and your gmummy culinary creation there!!
I miss you, and I am grateful for all you've done for me.
Drop me a line sometimes...

ya, the cooking blog sounds terrific, even for one like me, who doesn't cook, but loves good, fresh, and tasty food.

Take care dearling.

jo said...

I would LOVE that... I am also not sure how good of a cook I am. Book club, cook book, book book... just kidding

Jess said...

To whom it may concern:

Please be aware that "If Yan can cook, so can you" is a trademarked phrase subject to all applicable US and international trademark laws. Your use of a phrase similar to the trademarked phrase may confuse consumers and constitute trademark dilution. Please be advised that you have been warned to remove this phrase from your blog immediately and any continued or future use of this phrase may result in legal consequences.

Sincerely,

Attorney-at-law for Martin Yan

P.S. Yan can Cook. No seriously, he can.

Janice said...

Lindsay (married to cousin Fred) has a recipe blog I love. Can't remember the site currently.

Mumsy said...

It's me, Lindsey--married to cousin Fred.

My site is:

http://cafejohnsoniarecipes.blogspot.com

Love catching up with what you guys are doing--even though we've only met once.

kel said...

my question is, did you do any super-fast chopping while making these sweet rolls?